YOUR MOVING GUIDE CHECKLIST
Three Weeks Before
- Book move date with J J Removals Ltd.
- Make a list of items to be moved, which will need particular care.
- Agree moving plan with J J Removals Ltd.
- Confirm childcare arrangements for moving day.
- Plan the best way to look after pets on moving day.
- Clear out unwanted belongings.
- Start using up food from the freezer.
Two Weeks Before
- Contact service providers to arrange final accounts, and reconnection at your new home
- Telecoms/digital/cable TV provider – transfer/change the phone number to a new home.
- Electricity supplier.
- Gas/Oil supplier.
- Water Rates.
- Local Council Taxes.
- Notify change of address: –
- Doctor – de-register if you are moving to a new area and research alternatives nearer to your new address. If undergoing hospital treatment, notify a new doctor as soon as possible.
- Schools, advise of new school addresses so that education records can be passed on quickly.
- Amend insurance cover on buildings, household contents, motor, life, etc.
- National Insurance.
- Child Benefit.
- Motor vehicle registration.
- Driving License (DVLA).
- Credit card/store card or credit card protection companies.
- Notify all hire purchase/lease/standing orders or loan companies.
- TV License.
- Pension company.
- Redirection of mail through the Post Office (visit your local Post Office for details).
- Send out change of address cards to friends, relatives, clubs, and organizations.
- Organize the disconnection and reconnection of domestic appliances: washing machine, cooker, dishwasher.
- Draw up a room plan for a new home.
- Get advice on the suitability of moving aerials/satellite dishes to a new home.
Two Days Before
- Defrost the fridge and freezer.
- Cancel any regular deliveries (milk, newspapers).
The Day Before
- Check drawers and trunks/chests for any fragile items.
- Place any liquids, oils, and paints to be moved in sealed containers.
- Put to one side any inflammable liquids and drain fuel from petrol mower, paraffin fire, etc.
- Take down curtains and blinds.
- Pack house plants in containers.
- Put together a pile of ‘do not remove’ essentials: coats, handbags, snacks, cleaning materials.
- Pack small valuables separately and leave them with an essentials pile e.g. jewelry, watches, money, bonds, coins, stamps, etc.
The Big Day
- Confirm service meter readings and keep a spare copy of readings.
- Switch off power and water supplies (if necessary).
- Exchange contact numbers and agree on a meeting time with the removals team.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Drop keys off with the estate agent.